The digital catalogue of greenness presents the assessment of laboratorial activities collected from the literature (textbooks, scientific jounals, universities websites). The instrument used to the assessment is the Green Star, which assesses the acomplishement of each of the 12 Principles of green Chemistry that apply to the experiment analysed.
The digital catalogue presents also the SHE analysis of the safety of substances and experiments, based on the hazards of the substances involved.The instrument used in the analysis is the SHE tool composed by "SHE Triangle" and "SHE Band".
The objective of these assessments is to publish information that may help teachers and authors of textbooks and curricula to choose greener experiments. This may be a contribution to a chemical education, which takes in account the Green Chemistry, towards an Education for Sustainability.
ASSESSMENT OF THE GREENNESS OF THE LABORATORIAL ACTIVITIES
The laboratorial activities assessed have been published in journals, websites, manuals and other publications for teaching chemistry.
The activities assessed are presented in three categories: Syntheses, Separations and experiments for years 7-9 and years 10-12. For the Syntheses category there are two sub-categories - Organic syntheses and Inorganic Syntheses.
1. Choose the type of laboratorial activity
2. Select the laboratorial activity
Select the laboratory activity from the list presented, clicking on the name.
- Syntheses and Separations
In the lists presented the following information is available for each one: the CAS number and the hazards of the product and the number of experimental protocols assessed.
- Other experiments
In the list presented the following information is available for each one: the green star and the respective Green Star Area Index (GSAI).
3. Detailed information about the laboratorial activity selected
You can choose:
- Evaluation of experimental protocols, where are presented all the green stars obtained for each step (reaction, isolation of the product, purification and global process) of each protocol assessed (Figure 1). Clicking on the letter of each protocol, detailed information is presented: (i) description of the procedure; (ii) the green star obtained in the assessment; (iii) all the information needed to construct the green stars; and (iv) the references for the protocol accessed.
- Other information, when relevant, as Greenness optimization, References, etc..
You can choose:
- Evaluation of experimental protocols, where are presented: (i) a brief description of the experiment; (ii) the green star obtained in the assessment; (iii) all the information needed to construct the green star; and (iv) the references for the protocol accessed.
- Other information, when relevant.
SHE ASSESSMENT OF THE LABORATORIAL ACTIVITIES AND SUBSTANCES
The SHE assessment is applied to laboratorial activities published. The "SHE Triangle" and "SHE Band" were used in the assessment. In this catalog, details about the the protocols and the information needed to construct the Triangle an Band SHE for each protocol assessed are provided.